Saturday, February 5, 2011

Darkness -- Small Preview

Staring up into the darkening sky it seems as if I can glimpse into my soul. I was once a good person that is until my parents were brutally murdered in front of me when I was fourteen. Opening my mouth I took in the humid air hoping it would moisten the feeling of sandpaper in my mouth. I spread my arms wide wanting to embrace the creeping feeling of death and despair into every pore of my body. I didn’t care if people would stop and glance at me and give me odd looks. I felt at home standing here in the middle of this particular graveyard.  A slow wicked smile spread across my face as I released the breath of air and slowly lowered my arms I was finally at ease and ready to take on the night.  Hailing a taxi I told him my destination, Club Tonic. I’ve always loved going there during the waking hours of the night.    
Getting out of the taxi I paid my fare and looked around. Music pounded through the walls of the club pouring into the dark dank alley. A couple hooking up just outside the backdoor by the dumpster was rather hilarious to me. Cocking my head to the side I always wondered what it would be like to feel such emotion.  The only emotions I tend to feel are those that consist of hate and death. I don’t think I can say I’ve actually felt close to anyone. Letting out a breath of air it came out in little puffs against the brisk cold air as I dug my hands deeper into my jacket pockets. Hunching my shoulders I moved towards the line that wrapped around the club and expertly weaved my way into the crowd that was just moving inside the club door.
“Hey watch it dude.” Some chick blurted into my ear. I must not have seen her and caused her to fall into the door jamb when I bumped into her. Mumbling sorry I made my way to the bar. The bar has always had good luck for me it’s where I would always find my prey. I really didn’t have a type per say. I mainly looked for someone who caught my eye for the night. I mostly looked for the ones that seemed a bit desperate or pissed off at the world for some stupid reason. Or maybe a loner someone who seems depressed and sits at the bar drinking like a fish. Though I don’t go around slicing people’s throats or breaking necks to get my jolly’s off. I’m not into that at all. I’m more into freezing them chopping them up or mulching them into little tiny bits. Yes I will admit it’s a bit twisted, but I never said I was your typical normal killer.
I watched as the wave of bodies danced under the pulsing lights that changed with every thump of music. Hands waved into the air, hips swayed in an effortless motion and bodies bumped against one another.  I squinted my eyes when I spotted her as she gracefully climbed the stairs up onto the bar. I could tell she was going to be the one tonight. I snickered to myself as she sat on the wooden barstool next to me. This is going to be easy I thought to myself. I cracked my neck and flashed a smile when she looked my way. She had stick straight blonde hair and her eyes gleamed a golden hazel color when the light caught them just right. Her makeup was on way to thick and her clothes were to tight. She gave me the impression she was desperate for attention from anyone as she shifted slightly towards me.
“I’m Trista.” Her voice was velvety and soft, she raised her eyebrow as she waited for me to respond. Clearing my throat I tilted my head forward.
“I’m Corbin; it’s very nice to meet your acquaintance Trista.”  I watched a slight smile spread across her face, and I couldn’t help but smile even wider. This really was going to be too easy. I could tell she was already giving in by my just answering her. I leaned forward and whispered into her ear. “May I buy you a drink?” I watched as she nervously played with a strand of her hair as she shook her head. “Great. Can we get two shots of whatever over here?” The bar tender looked up from his obvious show of time consuming activity of rubbing down glasses and nodded slightly. I’ve never seen sour face before he either must be new or a transfer, but all I know is that I didn’t like the vibe he put off either that or his body odor.  He mixed them and brought them over with a smug look on his acne scared face.
“Twelve fifty buddy.” His rancid breath wafted into my face as I dug through my pocket and pulled out fifteen bucks and placed it onto the bar top.
“Keep the change.” He shook his head and walked off.   “So Trista, what’s a pretty girl like you doing in a dive like this?”
She chuckled lightly and bit into her lip. “Oh I don’t know. I was just bored and all my friends are out working tonight.”  I smiled at her and watched as some of the stress washed away from her face. “You know it’s so nice to actually meet a guy who wants to have a conversation rather than sex.” Nope I want your pathetic self in tiny bits laying at the bottom of the lake nearby I thought to myself. She returned my smile and I knew that I had her underneath my finger. “Though I would like to go somewhere a bit quieter you know so maybe we can get to know each other a bit more.” What was it that any conversation I had it always ended up short sweet and to the point? Maybe it’s because I came off as a nice guy rather than the monster I truly was, all I know is it was quite odd but very nice at the same time.
I stuck my arm out and she giggled like the Pillsbury dough boy as she threaded her arm through mine. I led her out to my beat up old dodge and let her in the passenger side. I rounded the corner and I could feel her eyes pierce me to the bone I glanced sideways and smirked lightly just before climbing into the driver’s side. Silently as drove I made a mental checklist in my mind to make sure I had everything I would need. The drugs were hidden in my glove compartment and my carving tools along with the rope and tape were in the tool box in the bed of the truck. I tapped my finger on the steering wheel as I felt her scoot closer to me. I was suddenly feeling claustrophobic and wanted nothing more than to shove her out of the truck as I slammed on the gas petal flooring it. She flung back and giggled making my anger spark. I gripped the steering wheel now causing my knuckles to turn white against my tanned skin. 
I could feel the urge taking over and I knew I was no longer myself. My need to kill was more prominent than my need to breathe. My blood began to boil in my veins as the evil began to chip away at mortality. I yanked the wheel to the right pulling the truck onto a deserted road and pulled over. I could hear her suck in a deep breath as I turned the engine off and moved towards her. I couldn’t help but notice the small bruises on the inside of her arm. She was a drug user. “Drugs?” I whispered into the dead air.
“What do you mean? I…I don’t do drugs?” She scooted into the passenger side door gnawing on her bottom lip.
“Yes you do Trista.” I spat out her name when I could sense her fear rising. “I know you do I can tell by the ligature marks on your skin you shoot heroin don’t you?”
Her face crumpled in defeat. “Yes…yes I do. Do you really have some?” I shot my eyes to the glove box and nodded discreetly. She reached over and opened it than began to go through its contents.  Her face light up as she pulled out a small black pouch. Gingerly she pulled the needle out and looked at it in awe. “Can I really have some?” Eagerly I shook my head as I watched her slide the needle into her arm and push the plunger down. A small whimper of pleasure escaped her lips as she thought what was heroin flood into her veins. “Thank you so much Corbin.” I knitted my eyebrows together confused momentarily.
“Who’s Corbin?” I cocked my head to the side and say in a wickedly harsh tone. Her face went from relaxed to alarm. She tried to bail out of the truck, but discovered she couldn’t move to well. She began to pat her hands all over her body as the panic spread when she realized she couldn’t feel most of her body. I sat back and watched her with a twisted evil grin on my face.
 “Corbin’s not your name?”  The side of her jaw was slightly slacked and her words came out jumbled and barely audible
“My name?” I threw my head back and laughed hysterically. “Why sweet heart I lied to you. I don’t go around giving my reaal name out freely.” I could see her eyebrows drop lower and lower and soon she was out cold. I sat up straight and scooted back into the driver’s seat and started the truck back up. I had to get her back to my place and into my torture chambers in my special secluded basement just on the outskirts of town before she fully came too. I wasn’t in the mood to wrestle with my kill.
Soon my small wooden shack came into view. I always liked coming here not only just to kill, but just because it was away from civilization. I hated being in crowded areas for to long, and I always ended up losing my temper. Exiting my truck I went around to the passenger side and opened the door. Her body toppled over the side and landed face flat in the cold wet mud. Shaking my head I chuckled lightly as I hoisted her body over my shoulder. I kicked open the door and it creaked open on its rusted hinges. The inside reeked of mildew and old shoes. The floors were rotting and covered in dirt and grime from the weather that managed to make it in from the broken windows. I never dared cross those floor boards for the fear of falling through and plummeting into the basement. Grunting I cared her towards the stairs cautious of where I stepped. My foot slid on the top stair and I let her body go as I grabbed for the rail. Her body bounced down the stairs like a bowling ball until it landed with a loud thud on the bottom step. Looks like she’ll be passed out longer than I wanted her to be which meant I would have to hurry. 
Slowly I walked down the stairs making sure I wouldn’t end up sliding down them and knock myself out. I picked up her lifeless body and threw her on the cold hard table that was in the middle of stone basement and strapped her down. I examined her closely I knew each and every point on which I would make my cuts to make her bleed out. I clicked my tongue against my teeth and headed back up the stairs. An odd compulsion to clean up the evidence of her being in my truck took over. At least I knew I wouldn’t have to just stand there looking stupid waiting for her to wake up. I grabbed my shop vacuum and began to suck away every little crumb. Afterward I wiped down all the doors and little buttons she may have touched to make sure none of her finger prints showed up. Wiping away the sweat on my brow I threw away the wipes into a tin trashcan so I could burn those along with her belongings and clothes.
I whistled as I walked down the creaky old stairs. I could hear her thrashing around on the table as I hit the bottom step and a devilish smile spread across my face. I pushed the door open and peered around the edge. Her body instantly went still as I heard her cry out. “Please what do you want with me?” I chuckled as I walked into the room making sure I shut the door before I answered her. “What did I do to you?” Her cries became frantic and her makeup and mud ran like a lumpy colorful river down the sides of her small oval shaped face.
“I want your blood to run like the crimson river it was meant to be. I want your body chopped into little bits and used as my special mulch I use on my plants.” I sneered at her as I grabbed my clear plastic apron. Her eyes grew wide as I grabbed my electric saw and plugged it in. For effect I revved it up and watched her squirm against the restraints.
“Please oh please don’t kill me.” She struggled harder as she pleaded for her pathetic life. I put my face close to hers and smiled.
“I just can’t do that sweet heart. See here I have this urge or shall I say this need to spill the blood of someone who I think deserves it. Now don’t go on and ask questions. I believe you greatly deserve what is coming to you. You’re a drug addict abused I presume by the small bruises I can see that cover your stomach and neck. You’re nothing but a waste of walking skin and air and filled to the brim with glorious blood. You think you’re better than everyone else and you have massive insecurity’s about how you look.  If that doesn’t sound deserving enough that you are in fact perfect to be killed than I don’t know what does.”  She thrashed about some more than finally succumbed to the fact that she wasn’t going to break from her chained restraints.
 I taped over her mouth, turned my large electric saw and began my art of cutting along the desired areas. Her screams were like a song that hit all the right cords in my body, but I began to get sloppy as they died and I no longer had my rhythm to work with. I wiped away the excess blood from my arms and face as I observed my work. Her body was chopped a little jagged in some spots which would be no problem when I throw her body into my glorious wood chipper. Shoving her body parts into various black bags I lugged them up the stairs and deposited the one bag that contained her belongings into the small trashcan. I light a match threw it in and watched as the angry flames licked and burned away the rest of the evidence.
 Grunting I picked the bags back up and carried them to the wood chipper. Flicking it on I looked up at the sky noticing rain threatened to poor down on my parade. “Son of a bitch you have got to be kidding me!” I was answered with a loud clap of thunder followed by a bright bolt of lightning.  “That’s what I thought.” I mumbled under my breath as I quickly began to toss body parts and tree branches, even a few limes to kill the smell of the future decaying of the small chips of flesh into the groaning wood chipper. Just as the last part went in I felt a speckle of rain slosh onto my face. Sighing I wheeled my wheelbarrow into the pathetic excuse for a garage to begin the final mixing of my award winning mulch. I took my hand and began to mix it around. Thrill buzzed through my body as I could still feel the mushing and warmth of her blood in the ground up trees and dirt. I licked my lips hungrily as I tossed handfuls into more black bags. This right here was always one of my favorite parts. I loved the feel of the warmth of another person’s blood between my gloved fingers. It reminded me so much of the day that changed me.
My mother and father sat in the kitchen tied up to chairs and I was strapped by handcuffs to our fridge. My mother was crying mercifully as the intruder began to carve around my father’s body. He didn’t make a sound of pain he just kept saying how much he loved my mom and I. We were forced to watch if either of us was to squeeze our eyes shut or look away the man’s partner would start to do the same to us.  He would twitch here and there and soon his words faded and he was dead to the world. My mother screamed his name and looked away as the intruder and his partner severed my dad’s head. Than they were upon her she just screamed and sobbed as they made their cuts. They were much faster on her they had cut her throat shortly after they started on her; I’m only guessing it was because she was so loud. I watched as her blood sprayed across my face, and I still didn’t look away. A sinister grin spread across my face as I took it all in. My mom and dad’s blood began to mix as it pooled onto the kitchen floor and made its way towards me. I could feel it between my fingers warm and wet as it began to seep into my clothes. They stopped when her head was disconnected and gawked at me like I was a freak, but I knew what they were thinking. They were amazed that a fourteen year old boy could just sit there and watch his parents got mutilated and actually be fascinated by it. I think they must have knocked me out after that because I don’t remember anything else.
                After heaving the bags full of my corpse mulch I threw them into the large freezer down in my secluded basement so all the blood would freeze and crystalize furthering the process of proper mulch.  Cracking my knuckles I stripped my gloves and clothes off and changed. Grabbing my ruined clothes I headed back up upstairs hoping the rain hadn’t put out the fire I started. I poked my head out from under the small tiny roof I smiled lightly glad that the sky was still spitting instead of pouring. Depositing my clothes in the trashcan I grabbed a nearby stick and prodded the fire stirring around the ashes making sure the flames consumed everything. The rain started to pick up and I could feel heavy fat splashes of it run down the back of my neck. Anxiously I chewed the inside of my cheek as I watched the final glove melt away.  “Now it’s time to head on home. Thank you Trista for you lovely contribution to my mulching business.”
                Climbing into my truck I started it up, turned on the stereo and cranked the heat up. I could still here the pitter patter of rain on the metal roof of my truck and I tapped my foot lightly on the door panel.  The adrenaline and thrill from killing was slowly dying and I was beginning to feel exhausted, but I wasn’t ready to head home. I hardly ever got to leave as it was, but I was slowly working on that. There was nothing like some good mind picking here and there to lower the defenses of Ian. I closed my eyes and before I knew it I could feel sleep pulling me deeper into the recesses of my mind and I instantly snapped my eyes open. I couldn’t go to sleep just yet at least not here. Maybe heading home wasn’t such a bad idea anyways. It was almost five in the morning and I knew it would take a good hour and a half to get home. That is if I didn’t hit massive traffic this early in the morning. Putting the truck into gear I pulled away and couldn’t help but look into my rear view mirror and watch my sacred place disappear in the distance.
“Great, just my freaking luck.” I slammed my head into the steering wheel as my truck began to shutter and spew smoke from the hood. I knew I should have paid more attention when that stupid check engine light came on last night. I scanned my areas hoping that there was a place the truck would make it before it decided to fully die on me. There was a small grocery store parking lot to my right, and traffic wasn’t moving so that would be my best bet.  Plus there was a bus stop right on the corner, and that was probably going to be the only way I could possibly make it home. Quickly I turned the wheel and hit the gas, the truck groaned and more smoke poured from the hood, but it managed to crawl across the open road and into the parking lot. I had managed to park it on the far end of the lot just before it fully died on me.
                Climbing out I kicked the side of the truck silently cussing it for dying on me in my moment of need. I was just glad that I had decided to leave my tools of torture back at the shack, I couldn’t even imagine what it would be like trying to explain them if I accidently dropped them and someone saw them. Looking up I could see the line forming at the bus stop so I threw my hood up and jogged lightly towards it hoping it would actually be on time today. The buses here in Chicago are notorious for never being on time. Looks like my luck is turning I thought to myself just as the bus came to a stop in front of the line of people. I threw in the bus fare and weaved my way to the back of it. The smell of body odor, old musty leather, and oil filled my lungs as I drew in a deep breath which made me want to hurl. A small pudgy kid sat across from me and shoved a handful of chocolate into his mouth. It irritated me when people just sat there and stared at me even little kids. I coughed lightly and turned my head. The last thing that I needed right now was having my anger spark right here in the middle of a crowded cramped Chicago bus. I silently flexed my hands trying to drive my urges elsewhere so there wouldn’t be a blood bath. I breathed a sigh of relief when the bus finally arrived on the more swanky side of town and I eagerly took in a deep breath the instant I stepped out of those metal doors.
                Tall buildings gleamed in the morning sun. The glossed windows of the skyscrapers gleamed and shined as the sun bore down on them. Small puddles from last night’s storm still stained the roads and sidewalks. The pudgy kid waddled along while his mother gripped his hand tight, and it tweaked my every nerve that he still had his head turned staring at me. Grinding my teeth I turned abruptly running into an old woman. “What the hell.” I threw my arms into the air more annoyed then I should be and walked off leaving her on the ground. I began to sprint towards Ian’s knowing he would soon wake up. Reaching the gates of his town house I sucked in my last breath of fresh air for who knows how long.
****
                Sun pierced through my low slung blinds. Groaning I shielded my face and rolled over yanking the covers over my head not ready to wake up. My alarm sounded its annoying beep over and over again until I finally slammed my fist down on the snooze button. Sliding out of my white cotton sheets I moved groggily across my heated tiled floor heading straight to the shower. For some odd reason I felt kind of grimy and dirty. I peeled my clothes off dropping them into my nearby hamper and stood under the luke warm spray of my shower head. I cracked my neck and looked down noticing that I was in fact washing away looked like dirt and possibly blood. “What the…” I whispered between my sore chapped lips. I licked at them hoping to restore some moisture to them, but instead I got jolts of sharp pain. “Damn this humidity.”  This is the third time in the past two weeks that I’ve woken up feeling like someone dragged me through a puddle of mud. Sure there’s been days for quite a while that I’ve felt like this, but I’ve never had it happen this many times in such a short amount of weeks. It’s just odd.
                Stepping out of the shower I wrapped a towel around my bottom half and headed over to my closet. I rummaged through my casual dress wear knowing that if I didn’t hurry up I was going to be late for work. Finally settling on simple khaki slacks and a blue stripped dress shirt with a deep blue tie I got dressed, grabbed my keys and headed out to my Bentley.

No comments:

Post a Comment