Saturday, February 5, 2011

Kissing Shards

Breathing in the musty damp air of Natalia’s basement I can’t help but feel an uneasiness flood my body. The subtle feeling of urgency prickles across my skin sending chills down my spine. Whenever this feeling consumes me something usually bad is about to happen. Thinking about it the last time I felt this was three years ago when my parents were brutally mangled in a horrific car accident. They were on their way home from their anniversary dinner. The police came and took me to their department after they delivered the news to me. I know they never meant to let me see the photos from the scene, but I helped myself to them knowing that they were preoccupied in finding me a place to stay. None of my relatives liked my family much we were the odd ones out of the bunch, and I knew for a fact that none of them would take me under their wing. Tilting my head to the side I took in the photo’s mainly for curiosity, but also to confirm what they told me.  Some semi-truck driver fell asleep at the wheel, but of course he’s pretty little semi didn’t suffer much damage. Though my parent’s car was another matter, it has rolled multiple times down the side of the highway. Metal mangled and merged with itself trapping my parents among its sick and twisted design.  I could see their blood taint the metal and some limbs here and there. I almost felt sick to my stomach, but at the same time I was awed that such a horrific matter could be such a beautiful piece of art.
I was shuffled in and out of foster homes due to my ‘bad’ behavior. Of course I was going be a bit on the rebellious side, and being booted from home to home didn’t help. My parents had just died what did these people expect? An angel? In every high school I was labeled a loner. I was afraid to make friends because I knew I would be moving anyways. So I kept to myself ignoring everything and everyone around me. It still surprises me to this day that I actually graduated, but I think I have Natalia to thank for that. I met her when we were in our senior year in high school. We instantly clicked when we met back in what they called smoker’s alley where everyone who couldn’t live without a quick drag on a cigarette between classes.  Then of course just as I was getting settled in and actually enjoying my life my foster parents were booting me to another home. I was furious there was no way I was going to move again. I finally had a good friend who got me, and there was not a chance that I was going to give that up. I put my foot down and screamed at them on how much they were screwing my life up even more. Natalia caught wind of everything and she begged her parents to take me in. Which after a few pleads and hearing my story they agreed under the condition I stayed in school, kept good grades and graduated.
So that’s where I’m at today. Standing here in my make shift room. Natalia stared into the bathroom mirror gliding on peach lip gloss across her full lips. Her dark brown hair was pulled into a messy bun and her hazel eyes stood out under her smokey make-up. Jealousy panged along with the uneasy feeling.  My choppy black hair fell in a stick straight bob delicately framing me round face. Thick eyeliner rimmed my pea green eyes and my lips shinned with the cherry lip gloss I had put on earlier. I wasn’t happy one bit that we had to wear dresses. It was either that not graduate with the rest of our class. I wore a slightly formal black dress that clung to what curves I had and I couldn’t help but feel naked. It felt so weird not wearing pants. It was kind of like just going out in public in your underwear way to exposed for my taste thank you.
“Stop yanking at the hem Destiny. You’ll unravel the dress before we even get to the auditorium.” Natalia smacked her lip admiring her gloss job.
“Sorry I feel so exposed in this damn thing. I don’t know how people can do it. I swear it’s unnatural.”  I yanked at the soft fabric as it rode up above my knees.
“Des, that’s what it’s supposed to feel like. Doesn’t it give you that feeling of freedom?” Rolling my eyes I plopped down on the edge of my small bed and slid on my dangerously high heels. Now these I love, I guess I can say not wearing pants for once means I can show of my legs in these spiked heels. “By the way Des those heels are amazing.” Natalia said as she sat down beside me sliding on her flats. Sucking in a sharp breath the feeling crept further and further in my body, and I couldn’t shake that something bad was going to happen to her. I swallowed hard fighting back the urge to cry. I don’t know what I would do if I lost my best friend.  Letting out a slight cough she spoke again. “I said are you ready to go?”


No comments:

Post a Comment